Monday, August 6, 2012

Awesome Fluffy Lemon Blueberry Muffins

Any recipe with the name "Awesome" in the title is well ok in my book. And...

They are vegan.

Don't let the word "vegan" fool you. These are not to be categorized as a "healthy" recipe by any means and I am gonna go ahead and put this out there. Sugar is a food group in my house. Yep, guilty.

And we aren't vegan, in fact tonight we had bacon with our muffins. Yumo! And did you know it's only 1 point for a slice of bacon, yay! But when it comes to most things like baking or processed items like say ice cream vegan and gluten free is easiest to identify with. I'm still very new to all of this food allergy stuff. So gimme a break...

See the girl has food allergies. I have eliminated Corn, Wheat, Eggs, Nuts and Shrimp from our diets. I'm a southern girl and I'm pretty set in my ways of cooking. I learned from the best. So this was a complete shock to me. It has been a lifestyle change for sure. I mean how in the heck am I gonna make biscuits and gravy with rice flour, yikes! I failed miserably at pancakes a few weeks ago. I cried. I was defeated. I felt like a complete failure. I mean pancakes?! How the fuck can you mess up a fried piece of batter covered in syrup.

See I have been cooking and experimenting in the kitchen since I was maybe 7. My dear cousin Lisa taught me how to fry an egg. That was the first cooking lesson I can remember. Oh how I miss her. And my parents bought me my first cook book. I cannot tell you how many times I made that brownie and chocolate chip cookie recipe, the pages are covered in remnants of dough and batter. I still have that cook book too, 20 plus years later.

Tonight I made my first recipe from The Allergy-Free Cook Book for Kids. My awesome brother-in-law Josh picked it up for me from half priced books. I've had it a day and well I just couldn't wait to bake my girl something delish! She has flagged more than half the book of recipes she wants to try.

I feel awful and I can't begin to tell you how many tears I have shed for her. Or dropped the f bomb at Whole Foods reading labels to find a cracker that's gluten free to be made with corn or sesame seeds, another allergy. All of the foods and things she's grown to love well she had to say goodbye to. I'm doing my best to find and recreate the simple things she loved so dearly. And I'm dreading her starting school and feeling so left out when it comes to a classmates birthday or a special project that is food related in class.

I remember the day I told her. First thing out of her wailing tear filled eyes and mouth was "What? No more peanut butter? That means no more Reese's Pieces or PB Cups." It was pretty life shattering, I couldn't imagine life without Reese's PB Cups either!

Check out the recipe for the Awesome Fluffy Lemon Blueberry Muffins I made tonight.



1 1/2 cups lemonade ( I used Santa Cruz Organic Lemonade, my all time fave lemonade ever.)
1 cups sugar
1/4 vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups white rice flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries or frozen

Preheat oven to 350, Mix all ingredients until smooth. Then stir in blueberries gently. Lightly grease your muffin tins or use liners, fill half way. Bake for 20 minutes or until firm.

Makes 2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment