Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Spiral Diner

Today was a vegan lunch adventure...

I normally stick to my usual Uptown fare, but it was a birthday lunch for our very special Bex! Yep, my high maintenance foodie friends convinced me to try the Spiral Diner in Oak Cliff. I have been counting down the days, couldn't wait to try it. I have heard all the rave reviews from them for months.  And so the day came...

First I couldn't commit to a beverage, so I tasted them all multiple times. I settled on my fave Watermelon Cream and Root Beer, finally. Not together of course, and I didn't feel awful about it because it was self serve. And this is no ordinary "coke" as we call it here in Texas. It's OOGAVÉ SODA ON TAP, made with 100% certified organic agave nectar. And after 3-4, I kinda lost count I didn't have the usual headache like I do with normal soda, score!

It was difficult to decide so after memorizing the menu and trying to figure out what all the "substitutes" were I settled on a Patty Melt with a Portobello Patty. Now I'm not sure if they were trying to put me on a diet or what but um, my sammy was small. But delish nonetheless! And the side of pasta with fresh basil was pretty darn good too.

Portobello Patty Melt

Here are the famous nachos I have heard so much about. Erin was so kind to share with me. Again my sammy was small and well you know I can eat, ha! And goodness they were good, even the fake taco meat was good aka TVP. I'm not gonna tell what the abbreviation means cause well it's just not appealing, at all.

Nachos Supremo

And Amy's was quesadilla. Did I mention she shared with me too? Yep, I’m so thankful for my nice friends.

Grilled Portobello Quesadilla

And they have a ton of choices for dessert. I was really eyeing that moist red velvet cake but settled on their seasonal peppermint ice cream. The base of this one was soy milk, now normally I'm not a fan but this had to be the creamiest ice cream I'd ever tasted. It had a very buttery flavor too. Almost like butterscotch and had perfect little bits of candy cane mixed in.
 
Peppermint Ice Cream
Again with the small portions for yours truly. Bex let me try her Chocolate Mountain Mudslide, she had peppermint ice cream instead of the usual vanilla. And boy the brownie combo was the so super sweet but totally worked.

I had a great time at lunch as usual with my lady friends. I will be back to the Spiral Diner, definitely not on a date with the hubby though,
I'm afraid he prefers that cowboy food.

No comments:

Post a Comment